Website Adelphi Real World (ARW)
Randomized control trials (RCTs) are the established practice for evaluation of the safety and efficacy of pharmaceuticals. Such studies are highly controlled and typically conducted with a small and very specific population. There is growing recognition of the need to supplement RCT data with observational research, exploring the management of specific disease in the ‘real world’, i.e. the treatment of various conditions under routine clinical practice rather than the controlled clinical trial environment, and the associated outcomes.
Adelphi Real World (ARW) is a global consultancy in healthcare and has been conducting real-world studies for over 25 years, providing clients with consultancy on the design and implementation of real-world studies. Our real-world studies encompass syndicated research (our proprietary data) and single-sponsor studies – both primary (e.g. medical chart reviews, surveys with physicians, patients, and caregivers, and prospective outcomes studies) and secondary (e.g. claims data, electronic medical records, administrative data and registries). Typical studies focus on generating real-world evidence on patient management and treatment patterns, patient reported outcomes and unmet needs, healthcare resource utilisation and comparative effectiveness (among others). Evidence generated from our research is used to inform clinical development decisions, strategic marketing and assist in demonstrating product value for clients from the pharmaceutical industry.
The ARW Statistics & Data Analytics (S&DA) team provide statistical and analytical support across all real-world study types.
To join the S&DA team with a primary focus of coordinating and providing analytical support across all single-sponsor secondary data studies, i.e. conducting complex data manipulation and analysis of existing real-world data sources worldwide to meet clients’ real-world evidence needs. You will work collaboratively with an enthusiastic and cohesive team, supporting various study teams and research projects.
This is a senior manager level role and would suit someone with prior managerial experience and previous research experience of working with secondary data sources (i.e. interrogation, manipulation and analysis), who is looking for a new role where they can develop and broaden their existing research skills in a commercial environment as well as contribute to the development, expansion and growth of an existing team. Consideration will be given to candidates with potentially transferable skills, given the relatively niche area, and adequate support/ training would be provided. The S&DA team is a relatively small team within the wider ARW company and is growing rapidly to ensure sufficient support can be provided to all other teams when responding to client’s needs.
Your initial responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the design of real-world studies:
- Advising study teams and clients on the suitability of proposed methods to address the research questions and recommending optimal approaches,
- Drafting and finalisation of appropriate sections within study protocols (e.g. sample size, statistical methods, data analysis etc.) for review by clients and other review committees,
- Development of a robust, transparent and coherent Statistical Analysis Plans (SAPs), incorporating comprehensive operational definitions and/or code lists, statistical methods, objective-specific analyses and table shells, for implementation by yourself or others with limited scope for interpretation.
Data management, manipulation and analysis of existing real-world data sources (e.g. claims, registries etc.):
- Subject matter expert throughout study lifecycle and key client contact during analysis phase of study,
- Responsible for overseeing and/or implementing data management process, i.e. secure storage, logging and data destruction, across all secondary data studies,
- Writing of programming code to address data manipulation, analysis and output requirements as detailed in the study protocol/ SAP, including quality control (QC) of all code and outputs, and post-review revisions, as per the agreed study timelines.
Development of a team and co-ordination of resources:
- Responsible for training, developing and ultimately leading individuals within the S&DA team with a strong preference for working on secondary data studies, with support from other senior team members.
- Responsible for ensuring all secondary data studies are sufficiently resourced from a statistical/ analytical perspective, including liaison with other senior members of S&DA team to align on team capacity/ workload.
- Responsible for future outlook on team resourcing requirements and subsequent liaison with senior leadership team to ensure adequate resourcing/ recruitment within the team.
This position is primarily based at our head office in Bollington, UK – located 15 miles south of Manchester on the edge of the Peak District. However, we will be accepting applications for candidates with a preference for remote working, which will be considered on a per candidate basis.
The ideal candidate would satisfy all of the below essential attributes:
· Substantial experience and proficient in using statistical software (e.g. Stata, SAS, SPSS etc.),
· Substantial experience of conducting data manipulation and analysis of large, complex, event-level secondary data sources (e.g. claims data, electronic medical records, administrative data, registries etc.),
· Hold a good honours degree (2:1 or 1st) in a numeric/ analytical discipline,
· Experience of contributing towards or developing study protocols and/or SAPs,
· Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry,
· Managerial experience and/or prior experience of training, developing and mentoring individuals,
· A high level of interpersonal skills and willing to work collaboratively as part of a wider team,
· A drive to help shape the future structure and success of the S&DA team,
· Highly motivated with a proactive approach to work and strong problem-solving skills.,
· A high level of numeracy, analytical, and interpretive skills, with a close attention to detail,
· Good organisational and time management skills and a flexible way of working,
· Strong written and verbal communication skills and a confident communicator,
· Proficient in standard Microsoft packages, e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The following attributes are not considered essential, but would be preferable in candidates:
· Substantial experience and proficient in Stata statistical software,
· Experience with, or knowledge of, real-world evidence and/or observational studies,
· Leadership qualities and/or experience of managing a larger team.
There is a clear career path within ARW which provides on the job training and the Adelphi-wide leadership programme. Assessment systems are in place to provide monitoring and a platform for the candidate to develop.
ARW believe in rewarding high performance; our benefits include a competitive salary, pension, performance-related rewards, a generous holiday allowance, private health insurance and on-site gym membership, together with support for further qualifications, in a friendly and informal office environment.
For more information on Adelphi Real World then take a look at our brochure by selecting the link below:
To apply for this job email your details to Rose.Jones@adelphigroup.com